Prof. Mariam has had a much-decorated three-decade career in public service where she served for 17 years in the Ministry of Health (MOH), Malaysia. She was directly involved in the international food standard development, Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC), while she was the Codex Regional Representative for Asia from 1996 till 1998. This led to the development of the Draft General Guidelines for Use of the Term “Halal” before it was adopted in 1997 at the CAC.
She then went on to an illustrious career at the Department of Islamic Development Malaysia (JAKIM) and the Halal Industry Development Corporation (HDC). At JAKIM, she established the technical audit and the Malaysian halal certification system. She also published the Handbook of Halal Ingredients, translated the first JAKIM Halal Manual Procedure and drafted the National Halal Laboratory concept paper.
Prof. Mariam's stint with HDC proved to be as noteworthy as she led the development of Halal Training Programmes, Halal Standard Unit, Halal Certification Unit, Halal Reference Unit and Halal Consultancy. She also initiated and organised the first World Halal Research Summit in 2007.
She has delivered more than 200 presentations in Malaysia and other countries including France, South Africa, Thailand, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea, Indonesia, Philippines, Brunei Darussalam, Japan, Australia, China, Turkey, Bangladesh, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Iran, United Kingdom and Russia.
Halal food; halal standard; halal law; halal certification; halal consumerism; halal nutrition; halal hub
• MSc. Food Service Management (Halal Food), Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Malaysia
• BSc. Nutrition (Hons), King’s College, University of London, UK
• Post Grad. Diploma Community Nutrition, Universiti Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
• Diploma in Agriculture, Universiti Pertanian Malaysia (UPM), Malaysia
• Lecturer of Human Nutrition, Food Regulations and Halal Food, Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS), Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia.
• Vice President of Halal Integrity, Halal Industry Development Corporation (HDC), under the Prime Minister’s Office, Malaysia
• Chief Scientist, Department of Islamic Development Malaysia (JAKIM)
• Consultant, Codex Secretariat, Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations; based in Rome, Italy
• Liaison Officer, Chief Secretariat for the National Codex Committee and the Codex Regional Representative for Asia
• Instructor of Food Processing, Agronomy, Extension and Landscape, Department of Agriculture, Malaysia