Dr. Shahrim enjoyed an illustrious career as chef, writer and consultant in the culinary industry before turning to teaching and research in Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM). He has made appearances in popular local TV programmes like MasterChef, Malaysia Hari Ini, Nona and Agen Halal.
His research interests are focused on cuisine and gastronomy, and its impact on heritage and tourism. Dr. Shahrim's current research works include Sustainable Islamic Tourism: The Arab tourists' experience with Malaysian food, and Safeguarding Malaysia's food culture and defining the role of Malaysia heritage food in attracting international tourists.
Food and culinary tourism; sustainable food heritage; consumer behaviour and marketing; foodservice management; eating habits; and destination management.
• Ph.D. in Human Environmental Sciences (specialisation in Hospitality and Tourism Administration), School of Hotel & Restaurant Administration, College of Human Environmental Sciences, Oklahoma State University, USA
• MBA, Mara University of Technology, Shah Alam, Malaysia
• B.Sc. in Hotel and Restaurant Management, New York University, USA
• Associate Degree in Culinary Arts, Mara University of Technology, Shah Alam, Malaysia
• Assoc. Professor, Malaysia's Heritage Food and Food Culture, Faculty of Food Science and Technology, Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
• Programme Assessor, Malaysia Qualifications Agency (MQA) panel
• Culinary consultant to high profile organisations like United Nations, New York; Malaysia Tourism Promotion Board, New York and Kajang town council
• Special Assistant to Vice President, Malaysia Tourism Promotion Board, New York
• Garde Manger Chef, Raffles Hotel, Singapore
• Garde Manger Chef, Carlton Hotel, Singapore