Prof. Zhari is currently a Principal Consultant for International Halal Industry Consultancy, Civet Technologies Sdn. Bhd. He is a Professor in Pharmaceutical Chemistry at Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), where he has been a lecturer since 1982.
Prof. Zhari has published more than 250 scientific articles (in journals, patents, monographs, proceedings, abstracts) at international, regional and national levels, and has written several books and monographs including an Index of Malaysian Medicinal Plants. He is also the recipient of several international and national awards in Scientific EXPO on Herbal and related products.
As an academician and professional in the pharmacy discipline with a wide range of experience in participating and setting standards for the halal industry, he is a widely known and much sought-after resource person in the halal industry worldwide, particularly in halal pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, nutraceuticals and health-related products industries.
• PhD in Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Strathclyde, Scotland, UK
• M. Pharm and B. Pharm, Institut Teknologi Bandung (ITB), Indonesia
• Appointed Fellow, Academy of Sciences Malaysia
• Appointed Member, National Fatwa Council for Malaysian Islamic Affairs, and Fatwa Research Committee Member, JAKIM
• Elected Senate member, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
• Chairman for Drafting MS2424: Malaysian Standards for Halal Pharmaceutical Guidelines.
• Recipient of 2010 Malaysia Halal Industry Development Corporation (HDC) Halal Scientist Award
• Recipient of 2012 MOSTI & STANDARDS MALAYSIA Standard & Accreditation Award
• Editor (verification), The Halal Index, Vol.1 (Pig Based Pharmaceuticals) and “Adakah Ubat-Ubatan anda Halal?” (Are Your Medicines Halal?)
• Invited lecturer, Halal Pharmaceuticals & Cosmetics in Brunei, China, Indonesia, Korea, Pakistan and United Kingdom
• Head, R & D for CHEST 2010-2011 (Centre for Herbal Standardisation), Biotropics Malaysia Berhad-USM Collaboration
• Appointed Member, National Herbal Development Council, Ministry of Agriculture
• Appointed Head of Cluster, Herbal Standardisation & Product Development, Centre of Excellence, Ministry of Agriculture
• Member, Main and Technical Committee for Malaysian Herbal Monographs
• Member, Editorial Board for Journal of Tropical Medicinal Plants
• Member, Editorial Board for Journal of Ethnopharmacology (Elsevier)
• Member, Board of Directors for Malaysian Herbal Corporation (MHC) and Kedah Biotechnology Corporation (KBioCorp)
• Consultant for the establishment of BIOSTAQ Laboratory, Kulim High Technology Park
• Member, SIRIM Working Group on Malaysian Herbal Standards, MIG-Herbal Committee in formulating the Malaysian Herbal Policy, National Committee
for the Malaysian Herbal Monographs and the Technical Committee of the Malaysian Herbal Monographs
• External examiner for PhD and MSc candidates from numerous public universities in Malaysia
• External Assessors for Pharmaceutical Chemistry Programme at a number of public and private universities
• Visiting Professor, Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM)
• Adjunct Professor, Cyberjaya University College Medical Science and International Islamic University
• Principal Trainer for Halal Pharmaceuticals